Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sitting out

In the first week that I couldn't really participate in the army (because of my ankle), I'm missing some stuff I was looking forward to. This past Sunday our battalion had a jump with the American Green Berets. Although everyone who participated told me that they never want to jump again and that I didn't miss anything. Apparently, the jump was with a lot of gear. Everyone jumped with vests, guns, ammo, and a giant bag that probably weighed between 40 and 60 pounds.
The day after the jump I went to see the doctor about my ankle (it is already starting to feel a lot better so I'm not too worried) and I ran into one of my buddies. He was there because he hurt his ankle in the jump. He began to explain to me that the winds were pretty intense and that he was getting pulled back and forth as soon as he got out of the plane. He ended up directly on top of another chute. He said that by the time that they got separated he barely had time to release his gear, which is connected by a rope, before he hit the ground. On a normal jump there is about a minute before you hit the ground, on this jump there was about 30 seconds because of all of the gear. His was not the only story I heard, one of the guys on my team told me he landed next to an American who landed on his back and immediately began cursing. In the end it may have been good I didn't jump.

The rest of the week is going to be more urban warfare, with paintball and more intricate buildings than we worked on last week. I'm kind of bummed that I won't get to work with them, but at the same time I think that being able to take a little time off will really help my ankle.

No comments: