Friday, December 11, 2009

Sidelined

After not being able to participate in my first actual week, I was forced to sit out of the next week as well while my ankle continued to heal. This time however I was actually a little pleased that I didn't have to participate.
The past two months all of the paratroopers have been in a three month training period. This particular week was what is known as a "battalion exercise." The name is pretty self explanatory. The entire Airborne Special Forces Battalion spends the entire week simulating war time conditions. This particular drill we have been preparing for a war with Lebanon or Syria, meaning that the drills take place in the North.
For those unfamiliar with the country's layout, Israel is not a complete desert which I know is what a few people have in mind, especially when thinking about a Middle Eastern country. The Northern portion of the country, the Golan Heights and the Galilee, is actually rather mountainous and actually quite woodland. Therefore, during the winter it tends to get both cold and wet.
My commander and I decided that because of the weight that everyone would need to carry during the week if it would probably be best if I stayed behind for the week. At all times there has to be at least three people at our base making sure that no other soldiers come in who do not have permission. So that is where I spent my week. Mostly relaxing and watching television (we have a TV room with the equivalent of Israeli HBO, one of the few perks of the Special Forces).
When the week was over and I talked to the rest of my team I was pretty glad I didn't try and tough it out. They told me that it was probably one of the hardest weeks that they have had since enlisting. Everyone carried a bag that weighed at least 100 pounds (even two guys who probably weigh about 120 or 130 themselves) and walked about 15 or 20 kilometers each day. However, what they said was the worst part was that it was so cold they couldn't really sleep. Not sure my ankle would have held up for the long hikes, but I'm definitely glad I didn't have to find out.

No comments: